Ways You Can Help Your Community During COVID-19 Outbreak
By: Rachel Cullor
With every state in the United States affected by the COVID-19 outbreak, and millions of people under self-quarantine or under orders to stay at home, it is definitely a scary time for the country. Doctors, nurses, and other medical experts are on the front lines, and state and federal leaders and advisers are putting measures in place to try to control the spread. But, there are things that we can do to help the community:
- Donate Blood. You can contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-RED-CROSS or click here to make an appointment.
- Make a donation to a non-profit, such as food banks, or your local health dept or homeless shelter
- Consider fostering a pet. Make a difference in an animal’s life and help shelters who are in desperate need of fosters.
- Donate your time and sewing skills to help make masks for healthcare workers. Joann Fabrics has stepped up and is giving away free mask kits to people who are willing to sew them together to be donated to healthcare facilities. Click here to read the press release and find out how to get involved.
- Purchase online gift cards from your favorite restaurants and retailers, especially small businesses that will have a much harder time bouncing back from this extended closure.
- Apply to help with grocery delivery services. Places like Food City, Aldi, and Publix are all looking for people to help them keep their stores as stocked as possible. Most are paying more than they normally would to meet demand.
- Volunteer to help the public school systems deliver meals to children that are digital learning from home while schools are out.
If you are looking for ways to help, and are able to, this list will hopefully give you a place to start. It is amazing how in times like these, communities come together to help take care of each other. We are proud to be a part of the great city of Chattanooga, and will continue to do our part to flatten the curve!
Remember, if you or someone you know has had a loss of coverage due to layoffs, have them call us. Our services are free of charge, and our agents are licensed and able to educate callers on their available options for coverage.